So, I started making a list of similarities between John and Ben. I'm sure there are some I'm missing, but here are the ones I can remember right now:
1) Both Locke and Ben had mothers named Emily.
--- The flashback to Locke's birth, and remembering that his mother was also called Emily, is what inspired me to put the list together---
2) Neither man had a relationship with his biological mother growing up.
3) Both men had contentious relationships with their biological fathers.
4) Each man is responsible for his father's death.
5) Both men have suffered from spinal cord related maladies.
6) Both men have been the leader of the island, which is sort of a stupid, obvious point. Sry.
That's all I have for the moment.