U-matic is a videocassette format from Sony that was introduced in 1969. U-Matic was one of the first internally-enclosed formats, as opposed to more common open-reel tapes at the time. The tape width was 3/4", and was fed in U-shape path about the helical head drum, giving the format the name. It is different from VHS or Betamax formats, which were developed much later.
Appearances on Lost
- The Pearl Orientation video was on a U-matic tape. ("?")
- The playback unit in the Pearl station was a 1975 JVC model CP-5000U. ("?")
- The playback unit in the Hydra station was a 1985 SONY UMATIC VO-5800.
- Ben's tape of the Boston Red Sox World Series victory, later dubbed over with footage of Charles Widmore beating an Other, was U-matic format. ("The Glass Ballerina") ("The Other Woman")
- The Orchid Orientation video, watched by Locke as Ben filled the vault chamber with metal objects, was played on a U-matic machine, likely a Sony. ("There's No Place Like Home, Part 2")
- The video surveillance at the Barracks security center was recorded with a U-matic system. ("Some Like It Hoth")