It is in "?". I watch the new episodes of lost two hours earlier than people from the USA do, so in my haste I added information about The Pearl, it's logo, and its Orientation. :D ~dissonance
Unlike the extra bit of flimstrip found in The Arrow, this is a completely new video with a new purpose. It deserves its own entry, with a category listing of 'orientations' to link them together, IMO. ~dissonance
Hmm, perhaps you're right. user:nusentinsaino
- I agree, but I also agree that people are going to get confused...film vs. video isn't really clear, especially in this day and age where they're pretty much interchangable. Maybe it should be "Swan Orientation" and "Pearl Orientation"?--Bremerton 19:42, 10 May 2006 (PDT)
I also think it should be "Swan Orientation" and "Pearl Orientation"- it's clearer that way.--Timothyseanfang 23:19(+8 GMT), 11 May 2006
Name of the Ferry and the Doctor
When you listen to the orientation film with the caption on, it is cleary mentionned that they must take the Pala Ferry (exact transcription of the name). And again, the doctor is called Dr. Mark Wickmund in the caption.
Back video screen
Just re-watching the episode, and noticed one of the screens behind the Doctor shows two people in one of the stations. It doesn't look like same configuration as the Swan dome. Anyone have more input on it? Starts at the 34:30 mark on the ABC free version. --Phil 08:26, 11 May 2006 (PDT)
- It looks like it could be the Swan dome, back when the dome was clean. --Uth 09:11, 11 May 2006 (PDT)
- And all the lights are on.--Bremerton 18:26, 11 May 2006 (PDT)
- I am comparing the physical lines between this image and the model from here (http://lostpedia.com/wiki/Image:Scenesfromorientationfilm2.jpg) and it isn't matching up. Most notably, the first series of vertical lines in the Pearl image. In the model as shown by Candel, it is all triagles throughout. --Phil 10:18, 12 May 2006 (PDT)
- well hello, it's a model. --Ernest 10:33, 12 May 2006 (PDT)
- You shouldn't compare the back video screen with the model.... Instead, compare it in one of the episodes where the losties are in the computer room, and look at the dome. --
- Then compare it here: http://lostpedia.com/wiki/Image:Theswaninterior.jpg Same deal.
- The vertical lines could be equipment, not part of the dome itself. --Ernest 12:26, 12 May 2006 (PDT)
- Should we put up the back video screen screencap into the main Pearl Orientation Video article (with a caption noting it's one of the back screens)? Santa 11:58, 12 May 2006 (PDT)
- I think that would be cool. --Ernest 11:01, 15 May 2006 (PDT)
- well hello, it's a model. --Ernest 10:33, 12 May 2006 (PDT)
Yeah, you're right, its part of the machine that creates the horizontal line. See pictures for comparing:
The first picture shows the horizontal line, however if you look at the second picture closely... it is the machines that cause that.
The upper-left monitor shows The Flame station in "The Cost of Living", but in the orientation video it looks like The Swan station. I think it's a blooper. What are your opinions? --Kemot from Poland 07:41, 22 March 2007 (PDT)
Not the Swan being monitored by the Pearl
The "button team" feed is via the top left monitor, the Swan feed is via the top right monitor.
screen captures to back this up are available from http://www.dharmasecrets.com/forum/index.php?topic=3702.msg41722#msg41722
Desmond's Dharma overall is not white as worn by the "button team", the "suspect" construction of the geodome, the white noise top left monitor matching the "button team" feed, and Karen Degroot's words "Careful observation is the only key to true and complete awareness". These are clues from the producers to be followed such as the size of Henry's balloon and what an ADF beacon actualy is !
Please excuse me for puting it on the front page without consultation, but its a Big find and worthy of it. Joesoap
- A big find? That there are other stations than Swan? --skks 01:07, 17 May 2006 (PDT)
The big find is that it is not the swan being monitored by the Pearl, not that there is another station. Joesoap
- The film never stated that Pearl's purpose was to monitor Swan alone, some people seemed to have assumed this without any fact on the matter. This is most likely due to the Swan feeds being the only ones working when Pearl was discovered. Proving assumptions or theories wrong wouldn't constitute as a "Big find". --skks 11:31, 17 May 2006 (PDT)
Prehaps rather than disputing what is a big find or not, more attention should be paid to stuff that is on the front page, I am a hard core Lost fan but new to the Wiki world, can someone please clean up the front page entery to include the evidence and with the apropriate links ? Joesoap
- Umm, I don't see the "big find" either. Was there actually anyone, who didn't notice the top left, top right screen thing? To me it still looks like the Pearl only observes the Swan. You wouldn't use just one camera to observe the whole station 3, would you? So, I think there are 6, 8 or 9 (or whatever) cameras somewhere in the Swan. The Pearl teams has to observe every single move, and not just one guy walking pass the kitchen area. NPORTERN
Going back to "Careful observation is the only key to true and complete awareness", the pearl team is told to observe another team pushing the button, they are not told to observe the other team going about their full daily routine, neither is the team shown doing anything other than pushing the button. Joesoap
- "Careful observation is the only key to true and complete awareness"? Without watching the episode again, I'm sure it is not mentioned, that the observed team is pushing a button. All they need to know is, that the observed people think they are doing a job of great importance. The Pearl crew has to write everything down the observed team does. So they DO follow their daily routine. Oh and if I remember that right, Kate read one of the notebooks, when they found the end of the pipe. It said, that "subject (enter number here) has taken a shower" or something like this. The team IS shown doing things other than pushing the button. The monitor that shows Jack in Station 3 is not in the geodome, it is in the kitchen. I think every room has a camera. Thats the only way to observer every single move, but therefore you can not monitor any other stations. It was also said, that they will observe "team-members in another station" which to me sounds like there is only one station, and as we see on the monitors, this station is station 3, The Swan. NPORTERN 10:01, 28 May 2006 (PDT)
Moved "Not the Swan Being Monitored" into theorys, someone please do a cleanup job and link it to the printout base 60 108 minute stuff, its probably going to need a podcast to close this one :( Joesoap
The printer is not shown in the pearl film, but is a piece of equipment in the pearl that could have been added at any time, the artical needs amending as this is not a paradox. Joesoap
- It is indeed shown in the video. When Wickman (Whitman? Wickmund?) talks about "working in 8-hour shifts", you can see it in the background on the left, next to the document tubes. The last part of your sentence, however, has me thoroughly befuddled. --Joezoo 07:27, 21 May 2006 (PDT)
You are correct, having re watched the pearl video, the printer is indeed shown, this leaves us with either the paradox of a 1985 printer being shown in a 1980 video, or a props goof. Joesoap
Comparing the Pearl Orientation Video and the Swan Orientation Film, several issues pop up for me.
-- Both the film and the video are dated 1980, but I think the Swan film was created much earlier and re-edited in 1980 for the following reasons:
-- Why would Dharma choose to use two different formats to make films within the same year? You'd think they would just go with the same technology for both.
-- The films are not similarly edited. The Pearl video looks like it was straightforwardly shot and edited together simply. The Swan film has many unnatural close ups of the top part of the Dr's face (to hide what he was oringnally saying and allow them to put different audio with the video) which I think shows that the film has been re-edited to change the meaning.
-- The two doctoral candidates who were shown in their university office in the Swan film are now scientists on the island making notations on the Pearl Video.
If this is true, I wonder why Dharma didn't simply make an entirely new Swan orientation video at the time they made the Pearl Video. It would probably be easier than re-editing the filmstrip. Did something happen to the Dr. which prevented this? Or did someone not involved with the Dharma initative edit the film? --NewLostie 10:36, 21 May 2006 (PDT)
About the close-ups of dr Candle's face - watch the original scene from "Orientation". There aren't any close-ups. They were added by fans when the scene was edited to look like original film - without Jack and John watching the film. --Kemot from Poland 07:48, 22 March 2007 (PDT)
The magnetism in the swan is generaly thought to be the reason for film being used as the media for the station rather than video tape. Joesoap
That makes sense, I never thought about the magnetism before, but what about the editing choices made in the Swan Film? --NewLostie 13:55, 21 May 2006 (PDT)
Such as the difference in Dr Candles Tie between the orginial film and the Eko bible found added section ? Ref ~ http://www.dharmasecrets.com/forum/index.php?topic=3702.msg39974#msg39974 Joesoap
Where did that barracks stuff come from? The tape was garbled when he was supposed to say that...
Notes Before Theories?
I'm of the opinion that Notes should come before Theories. Notes are insights gained based on the episodes, not conjectures gained from other sources or logic. It just makes sense to put all the evidence out there first THEN go to Theories. If no one disagrees before too long, I'll do some editing on this article and switch things around so that there are no theories in Notes and Notes come first. --Mr Vain 21:53, 1 November 2006 (PST)
Pearl orientation video it just seems to fit better with standard convention-BearDog 17:20, 27 November 2006 (PST)
- Just create a redirect page ZEKE?(>
- Pearl orientation video, no need for caps here in my opinion-- 16:41, 12 December 2006 (PST)
- Pearl orientation video No need for caps beside the first word--Mr.Leaf 19:19, 17 December 2006 (PST)
- Pearl Orientation video Pearl is a formal name, and Orientation is the proper name (title of the film), so they should be capitalized. I don't think video needs caps based on this convention, so rename this and the Swan film. --PandoraX 13:17, 21 December 2006 (PST)
- Pearl Orientation video Per Pandora's reasons. --Marik7772003 13:10, 28 December 2006 (PST)