The official Lost ABC site calls her, on their episode summary, "Olivia Goodspeed". Are summaries from there considered canonical? --Sauron18 17:10, 28 May 2007 (PDT)
I have just been to the site. This is what it says:
"Emily, who has just given birth and is dying, to the closest road and flags down a passing car.Horace and Olivia Goodspeed stop and offer to take them into town when Emily tells Roger to name the baby Benjamin, and then she dies."
- I agree - change to Olivia Goodspeed. —The preceding unsigned comment was added by Randomstranger (talk • contribs) ..
- I personally think they were married, but other than Horace having a wedding ring on when Ben sees him dead, what other actual evidence is there? --Nickb123 (Talk) 04:24, 29 May 2007 (PDT)
- Agree - Goodwin's Ghost 06:28, 30 May 2007 (PDT)
- Agree - Sauron18 22:15, 30 May 2007 (PDT)
- Agree - only if source/cite is noted in trivia --Jackdavinci 00:13, 31 May 2007 (PDT)
"Did Olivia die during the Purge?" was deleted as an unanswered question, but I think it's quite valid. Perhaps she did, or perhaps she died before the purge. Perhaps she survived and joined with the Others. Perhaps she left the Island before it took place. Since we last see her when Ben is still a child, her fate is very much open.--Hylas 19:49, 5 June 2007 (PDT)
Rename to Olivia
Because the fact we don't have canon source for her last name i propose renaming to Olivia
- agree per my statement here --Orhan94 03:23, 12 June 2008 (PDT)
- Disagree - see previous poll Malachi 03:31, 12 June 2008 (PDT)
There was never a canon source naming her last name as Goodspeed. It was never shown or mentioned that she and Horace were married. In "LeFleur" we learn Horace is coupled with Amy and they have a child together, with no mention of a former wife. Until we are given a last name I think the last name of Goodspeed definetly needs to be removed. --Lanpesci 09:07, 5 March 2009 (UTC)
- "Former wife" - incorrect. This was in 1970s. Horace and Olivia were shown together in the 80s were or whatever time Ben was a little boy on the Island. Olivia is the "future wife" --Mistertrouble189 11:47, 5 March 2009 (UTC)
- Ben was born in the 60s and we saw both Horace and Olivia there. If they were married, Olivia would be the former wife. --Ortrules 14:56, 5 March 2009 (UTC)
- agree Rename to Olivia. I also think we should remove the reference to her as Horace's wife. She may very well be but I don't think we've got a cannonical source for EITHER her last name or her relationship to Horace. Everyone seems to assume that she was his wife in MBtC but she may have been his girlfriend or his sister. I don't recall any discussion of their relationship. —The preceding unsigned comment was added by pennyj (talk • contribs) .
- Agree Reluctantly agreeing - The original press release calls her Olivia, not Olivia Goodspeed - and there are no references to her being Olivia Goodspeed anywhere else. We're waiting on clear up from TPTB on this I think. -- 15:11, 5 March 2009 (UTC)
- Agree - we have no evidence, just assumptions that say she is (or was) married to Horace. Let's wait, watch and see. - 15:12, 5 March 2009 (UTC)
- Give source Either way, as long as we give the source for her last name it should be fine. I added "*Olivia's last name has not been revealed within the show, however, she was listed as Olivia Goodspeed on ABC's Lost website." to the trivia.  --Jackdavinci 15:24, 5 March 2009 (UTC)
- We've asked Gregg Nations on The Fuselage about this. Hopefully he might get back to us on it in the near future. Her name on the ABC site is still listed as Olivia Goodspeed. I don't think her surname is in question at the moment actually, I'm more concerned about her relationship status, and where the episode LaFleur fits into the timeline. -- 15:44, 5 March 2009 (UTC)
- Wait and See: I think we should leave it Goodspeed for now, since it was and is on the ABC Lost site and we have a citation, but keep out any supposition of relationship until something more is shown to make that determination. ---- LOSTonthisdarnisland 16:46, 5 March 2009 (UTC)
- Another source: The enhanced version of Cabin Fever says "We saw Horace in Ben's Season 3 backstory / in "The Man Behind the Curtain." / Horace and his wife helped Roger and Emily Linus / when Emily went into early labor with Ben." I know the enhanced pop ups are still of debateable canon. --Jackdavinci 22:29, 7 March 2009 (UTC)
So we are using 2 non-cannon sources to justify leaving her last name as Goodspeed? Doesn't seem to be keeping with the policies of LP. And the consensus here is that the last name should be left off until confirmed by a cannon source. Also the use of the term "factoid" to describe her name is appropriate. Norman Mailer coined the word and defined it as something people believe is true, but in reality isn't. :p --Lanpesci 11:41, January 13, 2010 (UTC)
- We seem to have no canon source for the last name.--Jim in Georgia Contribs Talk 23:25, April 9, 2010 (UTC)
- The Lost Encyclopedia refers to her only as "Olivia" and as a good friend of Horace, no mention of being related to him. JamesyWamesy 18:47, November 2, 2010 (UTC)
The official Lost podcast from 2/05/09 has Damon and Carlton referring to Olivia as Horace's "friend". And considering that the enhanced episodes cannot be completely considered canon, is this a sign that perhaps they were not married? ♥meggie ~ Talk & contribs 23:50, 20 March 2009 (UTC)
- The exact phrase is as follows:
Benjamin Linus, here's what we know about him. He was born in the woods in Portland, Oregon, um, this guy Horace Goodspeed happened to be hiking through the woods with his friend Olivia. Then as a result of this...
Horace's wife ?
What evidence do we have that she is / was Horace's wife ? The article states that this information was taken out of an enhanced episode, which has since been confirmed as non-canon. Plus, there's the fact that Horace has been seen having a relationship with Amy. I know that the article was renamed from Oliva to Olivia Goodspeed due to the fact that they were (at the time) assumed to be a couple. Is there any evidence that they share the same surname, in canon ? Have the producers mentioned anything about Horace and Olivia being married and / or related in any way, shape, or form ? Because if not, I feel that any mention of romantic engagement betweeen the two should be removed. For all we know, they are just friends. We know she is married, as she is wearing a wedding ring ... But do we really know for sure she's married to Horace ? --LeoChris 05:44, 28 March 2009 (UTC)
- There's no information in the show itself regarding their relationship or her last name. The ABC recap lists her as Olivia Goodspeed and an enhanced episode says they are married to each other. And they were both shown with wedding rings. But one podcast refers to her as his "friend". What seems to be the case is that Olivia was meant to me his wife, but the actress wouldn't come back so they had Horace marry someone else. They haven't yet addressed what decision they've made regarding what Olivia's relationship to Horace will be now that she's no coming back. The best thing to do with this article is simply state the facts: their relationship is not known, and her last name has not been revealed within the show itself, and three different sources outside the show have said various contradictory things about their relationship and her last name. --Jackdavinci 09:13, 28 March 2009 (UTC)
- Agreed. All the information should be stated and since the last name wasn't revealed in the show can we PLEASE RENAME THIS ARTICLE! We are assuming her last name based on non-cannon sources, which are now contradicted by cannon sources. LP guidelines are quite clear on this. I don't understand why we aren't following our own rules when it pertains to this article........ Lanpesci 09:45, February 28, 2010 (UTC)
Can anyone work out what the file on Olivia says in Mysteries of the Universe part 2? To me, it looks like it may not be "Goodspeed"...--Golden Monkey 17:20, 4 August 2009 (UTC)
- The video is way too small and blurry for me to make anything out. I can't even make out which part of the file lists her names.--Baker1000 19:51, 4 August 2009 (UTC)
Mysteries of the Universe
- Pretty sure it is. It was released by ABC, and the Producers did say that we would learn more about DHARMA through it than we wouldn't have otherwise. --LOST-The Cartographer 21:19, January 25, 2010 (UTC)
NO - Darlton have said over and over that the only cannon is the show itself. The single exception is the mobisodes, many of which were deleted scenes or scenes written for episodes that didn't end up getting shot originally. Darlton has specifically said that the pop-ups in enhanced episodes, the ARG games created in-between seasons, the video game, and other advertising created by ABC (but not by LOST writers and producers) is considered additional information about the LOST universe, but isn't specifically cannon. There have been many cases now were the show ends up contradicting something that was previously and originally cited in a non-cannon source. Olivia is a prime example. The ABC website and a pop-up claimed Olivia as Horace's wife, but the show has never said that Horace and Olivia were married. Combined with Olivia's absence since S3 and Horace's later marriage to Amy (with no mention of an ex or a divorce) would further indicate they were not married. So why is the article titled Olivia Goodspeed, especially when LP guidelines clearly state that information in the LP is to be taken from CANNON sources? That is indeed a Mystery of the Universe! Lanpesci 09:41, February 28, 2010 (UTC)
- Since, the enhanced pop-ups are the only true indicator towards this and we consider them non-canon can we please remove the Goodspeed as it's more likely that Amy's last name is Goodspeed as we know that she is definitely Horace's wife, unlike Olivia. --Orhan94 14:27, April 9, 2010 (UTC)
- I agree. The Lost Encyclopedia says that she was just a friend of Horace's, and that her last name was not Goodspeed. --LOST-The Cartographer 06:07, October 23, 2010 (UTC)
- - She is Horace's friend, her surname is unknown.--Baker1000 20:23, November 2, 2010 (UTC)