I think that "The Eyeland" is just a pun, like many of the other titles on the soundtracks. It's the music in the very beginning of the pilot; it's the first scene on the island and it opens with a shot of Jack's eye. Eye + Island = Eyeland. Also, the thing about "The Eyeland" being the only official name has been on this page for a while without a source. Also, after the main title in A Tale of Two Cities, we see a closeup of Jack's eye. Also, after Claire's first flashback in Par Avion, we see a closeup on her eye once more. Should these be counted too? They're not technically at the beginning of the episode, but the motif is the same. Jeremiahsmith 06:53, 15 March 2007 (PDT)
I'm really too tired to edit the article - it's 07:08am here and I didn't sleep yet - but what's about those "changing eye colors" we've seen in the last episode? (where Locke blowed up the submarine)
One time he had brown eyes, one time he had green eyes... And in some forums I've read that it's not the first time someone got "changing eye colors".. As mentioned before - i'm tired - just needed to get that off my chest. Gonna have a deeper look later. Maybe I just oversaw an entry regarding this. ---Pewee 22:15, 4 April 2007 (PDT)
Why is Nikki in the list of episode-openers? Expose begins with her running through the jungle.
I believe there is a very important difference between the Left and Right eyes. I have been researching the difference between the two in Hinduism and Buddhism. Left means Evil and Right means Good. Is this important enough to include?--Kansasgal71 19:00, 29 June 2008 (PDT)
Close-ups that aren't episode openers
There are currently about five instances of eye close-ups that aren't episode openers. Perhaps we should create a table for those instances. Thematically within the show, I think they are still relevant, even if they didn't appear at the start of the episode. --23:37, 14 October 2007 (PDT)
- Agree. Can't think of em off the top of my head, what are they? --Blueeagleislander 03:32, 16 October 2007 (PDT)
- Copied from the "Other occurrences" section of the article:
- Not an episode opener, there is a close-up of Eko's closed right eye, presumably indicating that he is dreaming, and also possibly symbolizing his death later in the episode. ("The Cost of Living")
- Not an episode opener, there is a close-up of Desmond's left eye when he wakes up after entering his altered timeline. ("Flashes Before Your Eyes")
- Not an episode opener, there is a close-up of Claire's right eye as she awakens laying sideways to Charlie's plate of fruit. ("Par Avion")
- Nikki opens her eyes just before being buried alive. ("Exposé")
- An eye shot is shown, presumably Jacob's, during Locke's encounter with Jacob. ("The Man Behind the Curtain")
- Not an episode opener, there is a close-up of Locke's left eye as he awakes in the mass grave. ("Through the Looking Glass, Part 1")
03:43, 16 October 2007 (PDT)
- I went ahead and added the table. I think it looks pretty good.
- One thing I never noticed is that Desmond's eye close-up in 3x08 is the same shot as the one in 2x01, except the color is less saturated. It was funny, because as I was grabbing the pic from 3x08 and trimming it up, I had it zoomed in really big and thought "hm... the reflection in his eye kinda looks like the window in the hatch". Then in the article, I saw the close-up from 2x01 and thought somebody had grabbed the wrong close-up! :) I had to go to lost-media to check it out, and they are indeed the same shot. -- 17:50, 16 October 2007 (PDT)
- There's a close up of Claire's right eye closing up, right before Alex drugs her and she loses consciousness. ("Maternity Leave")
(1) The overhead canopy of trees when Jack awakes in Pilot 1 are made up of radiating lines of green and brown - like his eyes. The island is 'watching' Jack from the start. (2) The Oceanic logo, particularly when bisected (as in the nose section of Flight 815), resembles an eye. (3) The engines on the beach look like an eye. User:notinpdx
- Looking for a screencap of Sayid's eye or eyes (closed) from the opening of ("The Economist"). Any takers?
- Thanks guys!!
- There ya go mr_tee_canada. AdamDS95 17:16, 17 January 2010 (GMT)
Locke's eye 4x11
Since I haven't a clue how to take screencaps from episodes, I was wondering if anyone could upload a picture of Locke's eye when he wakes up in "Cabin Fever", for this article. Thanks.--Baker1000 12:47, 14 June 2008 (PDT)
Here you go Baker1000. AdamDS95 17:02, 17 Jaunary 2010 (GMT)
Jack's Eye color
The color of Jack's eyes in Season 5 are deffinitely dark brown with no blue. This is the same color of Jack's eyes as a boy, and not his color when he first wakes up on the island. —The preceding unsigned comment was added by Ackander (talk • contribs) .
Jack's Eye Close Up in White Rabbit
Desmond's Eye in Flashes Before Your Eyes
Can someone add one? When Desmond comes back to the island after the hatch implosion, it opens with BOTH eyes.L8O1S5T 13:03, January 17, 2010 (UTC)
Picture of Desmond's eye in "Flashes Before Your Eyes" added!
^ That one is already in the database, I'm referring to when Desmond wakes up in the jungle, it focuses on (both) of his eyes. L8O1S5T 21:54, January 17, 2010 (UTC)
The end of Season 5
Since this is no longer spoiler territory etc, what if anything has been determined about the eye that popped up after the titles at the end of Season 5? No one would discuss it back then, saying it was only a promo, but it was clearly of interest. They left it out of the replay before season 6. Appreciate knowing what or whose eye people think it was.
--JEMJEM 23:08, February 10, 2010 (UTC)
^ The eye was Jack's. It was recycled from the Pilot episode when Jack wakes up in the jungle. L8O1S5T 22:10, February 10, 2010 (UTC)
A Potentially Useful Quote
I found a short story, called "Turn Off the Sky", by Ray Nelson (note his middle name), written in The Magazine of Science Fiction and Fantasy in 1963. At one point the main character says the following:
"The Hindus call the 'I' thing the Atman. That Atman eye opens when I am born, slowly at first, without understanding, then watches, watches, watches as my life passes through time. It doesn't miss a thing[...]. Even if I go insane, the Atman eye that is me will go on quietly watching my delusions and hallucinations. Then I die, and the inner eye closes, never to open again."
I found this quote (the rest of the story, not so much) relevant to LOST both in imagery and in theme. This page looks like the best place for it, but I couldn't figure out a good place to incorporate it. So I'm posting it here in case someone else can see a way to utilize it. Ninjatacoshell 14:02, July 6, 2010 (UTC)
Nikki's Picture Needs To Be Changed
Nikki's picture needs to be changed for Expose' because the image is wrong. Her right eye does not appear. When she opens her eyes, it's "both".
The image at the top of the page is a close up of Locke's foot, doesn't anybody else think that an article titled "Eyes" should including an image of an eye at the top?