I'm guessing that since we know he had help in the kidnap that he was wearing shoes while pretending to be a survivor.
He probably took Claire back to the medical unit while another Other took Charlie.
Locke can follow Ethan because he is wearing shoes and leaves tracks.
Probably setup a false trail with Charlie's bandages to throw the followers off, as Charlie says he doesn't remember anything about the abduction.
Why he didnt remove his shoes is unknown but.... More or less lead Locke to the Hatch with his trail by doing so.
It looks likely that Charlie would be killed whatever as where he was suspended would have taken a little time to prepare.. unless there were more involved than just one other Other.
He, or another Other, used a sling as a weapon to knock out Jin. Its a simple and primative weapon but requires great skill to use from distance like he did. Its benefit is that it is relatively silent and wouldn't attract attention like a gunshot. --MRNasher
I'm starting to think that Ethan was making a joke by calling himself "Rom".
I am not sure his surname is used elsewhere and its looking more and more likely that the anagram is more used by the writers as a tease than having any significance in the reality of the show.
I base this on the fact that no more anagrams seem to be panning out from the scant information we have received.
I wonder if we are taking the wrong tack on the names here.
People who use a pseudonym can delight in leaving clues to the fact in the new 'assumed' name (I know i do when i play online games). So Ethan my have been doing just that.. a private joke.
But others within the scheme might also be dropping, almost unintentional, clues into their names, more by association than anagram.
Dr Marvin Candle: Candle power being a measurement of brightness, a light source, Illumination. There are a bucket load of religious connotations on the main wikipedia site for Candle.
We know that there was a massively bright light under the hatch at one point but we have no reasonable origin for that light as yet.
Wonder if this will bare out for other known names. We know that some names are taken from literature and philosophy already 'Henry Gale' for example.
Just a thought.
I'm going to add that to the theories page. --Limabeen 16:06, 11 February 2007 (PST)
"Unknown, possibly one of the Others"
he is an other , he worked together with Mr. Friendly!
--Cool Man 0912 14:23, 26 March 2006 (PST)
> His surname "Rom" may be an abbreviation of Royal Ontario Museum, as he claim to be from Ontario, Canada.
I, personally, think that this is too far call for this, we don't really know if he is from Toronto or Ontario at all and I don't recall any references to Museum or whatsoever, think this is a pure coincidence. Correct me if I'm wrong. --Pashator 10:00, 5 April 2006 (PDT)
Agreed, it's a bit of a stretch...we could probably find 100 different places in a city that are an abbreviation of ROM. --Bremerton
I thought it was worth mentioning (although my boyfriend didn't) that Ethan was the one who gave Hurley the luggage with the golf clubs in after he heard him say he was bored. It was quite a while after the rest of the group had collected the rest of the luggage from the sea and Ethan just so happened to find this bag? Also when he handed it over to Hurley he had a strange sort of smile on his face. Was it their interntion to distract the rest of the group with golf so he could abduct Claire more easily? Like I say, my boyfriend thinks this is totally irrelivant, but I thought it was worth putting to everyone.--LostCat 07:03, 18 April 2006 (PDT)
Pun intended? Sounds reasonable. --skks 07:24, 18 April 2006 (PDT)
- I thought of this also, I wonder if he just procured those...ShadowUltra 14:28, 5 November 2006 (PST)
- Its more likely he was being nice. His plan to abduct Claire were forced by being found out. Dharmatel4 09:23, 26 March 2007 (PDT)
Looked pretty roughed up
So I was watching "Homecoming" again this morning, and I noticed that when Ethan reappears to Charlie in the jungle, he looks like hell. His face is all scratched up, he's filthy and he's unshaven. In most of his other appearances he's pretty clean-cut. Now, admittedly it's been awhile since I saw "Maternity Leave" (the original airing, in fact), so he may have gotten these wounds while trying to find Claire, but if he didn't, then perhaps he was punished for losing Claire. "He/Him" may have had Ethan tortured, or at least exiled (explaining his disheveled look. He may have been on his own since Claire escaped). Thoughts? Levid37 09:32, 23 May 2006 (PDT)
Possible Appearance in a Henry flashback?
Deleted "How can he be guest starring in Henry Gales's flashback, A Tale Of Two Cities is a Jack Shephard episode." Not sure why that was posted, there's no other mention of that episode, nor does it say that the first episode would be a HG flashback. Also, if a statement is wrong, you shouldn't put a rebuttal statement on the article page, just fix the statement. --Minderbinder 05:30, 22 September 2006 (PDT)
Proved false theory
- May be alive. His chest is moving up and down as if he would breathe while he was buried by Hurley and Charlie. Was later dug out by one of the Others.
- If the gunshots didn't kill him then perhaps burying him did. He would most definitely be in a weakened state and he would not survive for very long buried alive. It could also be a production error. Either way, Ethan is definitely dead.
Ethan's relationship to the 2 labs
- Can someone please clarify this a little better? Did he actually work for Miami Central University Medical Research Laboratory's lab, or was he just walking through? He obviously working for Mittelos Bioscience by the end. Was he just co-recruited at the same time as Juliet? Or was he working for both? Or just the latter? --PandoraX 05:36, 8 February 2007 (PST)
- Alpert said that they are "very thorough in their recruiting system" or something when Juliet asked how they knew about her sister. Ethan was there spying on Juliet and Rachel. That's how Alpert knew.
- I don't think we are given a definitive answer however my thoughts are Ethan always worked for Mittelos Biosceince, well at leas the whole episode. His reason for being at Miami Central University Medical Research Laboratory, was probably something related to digging up information on Juliet, as they said, their recruitment process is very thorough. But I'm not 100% sure, i have the episode, so I'll watch it again later.-Mr.Leaf 09:39, 8 February 2007 (PST)
- I don't think we can tell for sure. He's clearly with Mittelos. I didn't see anything that could allow us to link him clearly to MCUMRL, although it is possible to imagine a theory that he was a Mittelos agent in MCUMRL. -- Cheers 09:46, 8 February 2007 (PST)
Ethan, why the long face?
- No, seriously, is that first pic stretched out? I know he's funny-looking, but that infobox one looks distorted. --PandoraX 09:31, 8 February 2007 (PST)
- I think its distorted somehow, he looks like a giraffe with that neck. -Mr.Leaf 09:39, 8 February 2007 (PST)
- Are you saying that he is the pissed-off giraffe Damon and Carlton alludes to as being the Monster? :) --PandoraX 09:51, 8 February 2007 (PST)
- It all makes sense now, that neck is how he was able to get the pilot out of the cockpit window and into the tree. Sneaky others, making us think it was a monster when it was Ethan all along.-Mr.Leaf 15:49, 11 February 2007 (PST)
I was watching Born To Run from Season One (disc 6) today and within the first few minutes you see Kate at the hotel. In the parking lot, a family of three is leaving one of the hotel rooms. The father's face is shown briefly. I'm pretty sure it's Ethan. Could someone verify this, please?--Mf481516 10:51, 17 February 2007 (PST)
- Just watched. Doesn't look particularly like William Mapother to me. --Bastion 09:51, 26 March 2007 (PDT)
According to Ben in "Stranger in a Strange Land" Ethan was an excellent surgeon. If he really was why did he not operate on Ben but was sent to assemble a list and pretend to be a survivor instead? --Stan 09:07, 22 February 2007 (PST)
Why would you send the surgeon, when you have people that are much more suited to the heavy man work in a very large group of people!17:30, 24 February 2007 (PST)
- Did Ben know he had a tumor at that point, when he sent Ethan out? As for "heavy man work," as far as I can tell he was the strongest person on the island, bar none.C.m. 10:51, 12 April 2007 (PDT)
On some of the special features on the DVD, the producers talk about how instead of giving Ben a "Number Two," so to speak, as leader, it seems that he has a group of Number Twos - And they show Ethan, Goodwin, and Mr. Friendly. It seems that he sent Ethan and Goodwin to infiltrate the survivors because he trusted them greatly. Plus, being a skilled surgeon is not the same as being a skilled SPINAL surgeon. Tough stuff.
Possibly because he had to pretend to be a 'creepy' character. He is seen as a rather helpful person in the first episode of Season Three (when working on Juliet's house). --Stan 11:50, 25 February 2007 (PST)
- He often came across as very kind and gentle.C.m. 10:51, 12 April 2007 (PDT)
- He helped people, he was one of the Others doctors. -- [Talk] 12:22, 19 March 2009 (UTC)
Some questions were deleted, so apparently the answers are obvious to that person. Care to enlighten us?--Jackdavinci 08:08, 3 April 2007 (PDT)
- Did Ethan actually have enhanced strength, and if so what was its source?
- Were Ethan's actions after losing Claire done out of fear of the consequences of having failed "him"?
- The first one is a two-part question. The second part of the question assumes that a theory is true. "Did Ethan have enhanced strength?" seems better.
- The second one may have been removed as an attempt to consolidate several questions about Ethan's motives down to one. Its possible something got lost in the attempt.
Its not always that the answers are obvious. It can be the form of the question (theories as questions) or trying to cut down the number of questions. It would be nice to notify the submitter, but its not always easy to do that. Finally, I think I removed these questions but I dont really remember for sure. Dharmatel4 13:02, 6 April 2007 (PDT)
- Why and how Ethan can breathe while Hurley and Charlie bury him? (1x16, 15'40) User:PayAttentiONethan
Wasn't Ethan fixing Juliet's plumbing in 3x01? So shouldn't Plumber be added to his profession on the template?--Baker1000 12:26, 3 April 2007 (PDT)
- You don't need to be a plumber to fixing plumbing. My opinion would be no. Dharmatel4 13:03, 6 April 2007 (PDT)
New info about day 15 (One of Us)
could someone please add what we now know about what ethan was doing injecting claire.
i.e add something about the blood samples he was taking etc. on day 15ish
Who said that Ethan arrived at the survivor's camp two days after the crash? --Hanso 01:18, 27 April 2008 (PDT)
From the Trivia section: "Some fans argue that Ethan can be seen breathing from inside the body bag as he is being buried by Charlie and Hurley, although this is most likely just a production error. ("Outlaws")". Now I haven't seen the episode in a while, but I don't understand why they would have the cast member in the bodybag, when a pillow or something would've done the job just as well? --Blueeagleislander 03:42, 3 May 2008 (PDT)
When was it said that Ethan worked with Goodwin at the Tempest?11:12, 31 August 2008 (PDT)
- I think we should remove part of his trivia that states that he appeared in more episodes post-death than pre-death, otherwise we should add the same thing to Goodwin Stanhope, Pierre Chang and many more. --Orhan94 18:30, 2 March 2009 (UTC)
- I think that part was added because in one of the bonus features on the Season 3 DVDs, William Mapother said that he'd done more episode since Ethan's death, than when Ethan was alive. So maybe we should a little thing to the beginning of that piece of trivia like "As noted by William Mapother, Ethan has appeared...." --Crash815 Talk 21:57, 3 May 2009 (UTC)
Ethan Goodspeed in Namaste
Was it ever actually said that the baby's full name was Ethan Rom, or did they just say "Ethan"? --Golden Monkey 11:40, 19 March 2009 (UTC)
- Just Ethan. But it's obviously this one. They don't want to have to sledgehammer everything, and I'm sure many fans don't want them to either. --Blueeagleislander 11:47, 19 March 2009 (UTC)
William Mapother was born in 1965, Ethan was born in 1977, is there any reason for this age discrepancy? Has Ethan traveled in time at some point, or is it just poor date calculation? Whatever the reason I think this is worth pointing out in the article. Will Bradshaw 12:36, 19 March 2009 (UTC)
- Yunjin Kim is 10 years older than Sun also. There's really no basis for gauging a character's age on the actors, especailly when the actors are aging faster than the characters. --Gluphokquen Gunih ▲ 15:01, 19 March 2009 (UTC)
- I agree with Bleag. There is no doubt that the baby is indeed Ethan, despite the fact that Mapother is much older than his character. -- 15:15, 19 March 2009 (UTC)
- The producers seem to confirm that the baby is indeed Ethan Rom in the March 18 podcast. --Sfoskett 18:17, 20 March 2009 (UTC)
- I agree with Bleag. There is no doubt that the baby is indeed Ethan, despite the fact that Mapother is much older than his character. -- 15:15, 19 March 2009 (UTC)
- Here's the problem---it's not just the 1965-1977 discrepancy. We see the 43-year-old Mapother portray Ethan Rom in the scene in which he shoots John Locke in front of the BeechCraft. This occurs during a time-flash to the early 90s. Ethan Goodspeed would be 16 or 17 at this time. That's a 27-year discrepancy---not quite the same situation as Yunjin Kim and Michael Emerson. Jrsightes 06:04, 24 March 2009 (UTC)
- Flawed logic - After all, we have seen other characters with decades difference, that haven't aged, have we not? -- 13:01, 24 March 2009 (UTC)
- Yes, but in this case, the character wouldn't be not aging, he'd be aging twice as fast. We have not seen any other character look 27 years older than he or she is supposed to look. Jrsightes 18:14, 24 March 2009 (UTC)
How did he come to the name "Rom"? We don't know Amy's last name yet. This would be the easiest way. Or maybe he married, while being on the island. I can't wait to see how he and Ben joined. Because as we did not know till "Namaste", Ethan is a child of two dharma members and he will survive the purge. --Alan Shore 09:37, 22 March 2009 (UTC)
I'm sorry that I leave my message so. But I think Miles know about Ethan in the next episode or this episode!
I've updated Ethan's episode count to include Baby Ethan's appearances in "Namaste" and "He's Our You." Next to his episode count, it says Ethan Rom has appeared in more episodes post-death than pre-death. Should we count the appearances by Baby Ethan as post-death, or pre-death (since it could be either, depending on how you look at it)? Jrsightes 04:03, 28 March 2009 (UTC)
- Good question. I vote "post-death." Marc604 09:52, 28 March 2009 (UTC)
- I vote post death also. As if organizing a lot of these pages wasn't hard enough before time travel...--Roobydo 00:29, 12 April 2009 (UTC)
When I try to edit the Ethan page, it says "WARNING: You are editing an out-of-date revision of this page. If you save it, any changes made since this revision will be lost." I'll edit it with info on 5x10, in which he had an important appearance, but then the next day, it'll be back to how it was. What's going on? Marc604 08:49, 29 March 2009 (UTC)
- It's a defect in the Wikia software, and has happened before. I'll report it as a problem --LOST-Hunter61 08:59, 29 March 2009 (UTC)
- The same thing happens to me. I keep having to correct the ep. ct. to include 5x10. I read some guy the riot act because the history said he had made the reversion. I didn't realize it was happening to everyone. Jrsightes 09:12, 29 March 2009 (UTC)
- I feel better now. I've changed it four different times, and it always reverts back to how it was! Talk about annoying. Marc604 00:08, 30 March 2009 (UTC)
- I wonder if there's some way we can post a notice saying "if you edit the page, you have to fix the episode count afterward." A lot of people either don't know or aren't bothering to do it. Jrsightes 20:17, 30 March 2009 (UTC)
I think Robert has fixed it, Thx Robert! --LOST-Hunter61 20:32, 30 March 2009 (UTC)
Very nice. Marc604 01:55, 31 March 2009 (UTC)
Okay, he was supposedly a skilled surgeon, but do we know for sure he had a doctor title? He was born into DHARMA but was living with the Others as a teenager. Did he study in the outside world?--Nevermore 09:09, 9 April 2009 (UTC)
Surname: Rom or Goodspeed?
I don't remember the "Rom" surname being used other than when he was infilitrated with the survivors. It could be an alias. I think the article at least should read "Ethan Rom (born Ethan Goodspeed)". —The preceding unsigned comment was added by Gonzalo84 (talk • contribs) 2009-05-03T16:53:40.
Since Rom was apparently a fake surname chosen for the anagram, I suggest changing the first line to "Ethan Goodspeed, alias Ethan Rom, ...". —The preceding unsigned comment was added by Duggie2 (talk • contribs) 2010-02-12T21:48:16.
- I would favor keeping it as "Rom", at least for the time being. We don't know much about Ethan's early history with the Others, but if he was living with them (even just part-time) he might have been "raised" by an Other family in addition to his birth family, and the name could have come from them.
- Of course, this is one place where the official chronology seems to be garbled; Ben and Ethan stole infant Alex in January 1989, and the Purge supposedly happened in 1992, which means that for the first three or four years of Alex's life, she was "raised" by her daddy Ben who spent most of his time with the Dharma folks instead of the Others -- which doesn't make much sense. So it's hard to guess how much time young Ethan spent with each group. But I don't think it's too speculative to say that if Ethan chose an alien band over his own parents, and didn't apparently even object to his father being killed in the Purge, then he must not have had a huge amount of affection for his parents... and therefore, changing his last name would hardly be surprising.
- On the other hand, if we do end up merging all the Original Universe / Revised Universe pages, then maybe Ethan Goodspeed (Rom) should be the name of the merged page. — Lawrence King (talk) 04:37, February 13, 2010 (UTC)
- In the meantime, a good citizen here should rewatch Not in Portland and One of Us to verify whether Ethan mentions his last name in either episode! — Lawrence King (talk) 04:39, February 13, 2010 (UTC)
After my post about Jack's eye in 1:1, you all are going to think I have some weird thing about eyes now, but here it goes...
A fellow Lost enthusiast friend of mine believes that he has noticed something strange about the whites of Ethan's eyes, at least in Season 1. He says that they are swirling blue instead of white. This happens in 1:15 "Homecoming" after Ethan knocks out Jin with a sling, and he approaches Charlie demanding Claire's return, and he gets closer and closer to Charlie. As he gets closer and closer, his eyes turn bluer and bluer. Has anyone else noticed this? If someone knows how to put the pictures in the same line, please edit. --LostFool 02:48, 24 June 2009 (UTC)
It's never seen in LOST but maybe Miles(from present time) met Ethan as baby. Because everyone in the barracks has to know of each other I think. It could be that Miles met Ethan as baby. I know they never shared a scene together he as big Miles and he as baby Ethan. But it's a theory. It's time for discussion.--Station7 13:37, September 1, 2009 (UTC)
Did Ethan remember Lock when John-2004 shifted in time into the past?
Yeah, I was always wondering this: you see someone you think came on a plane, he says he's your leader, and you try to shoot him and he disappears? My guess is that if Ben knows about time travel, like some people have theorized, Ethan told him about it, he probably realized what was happening, and kept it between Ethan and himself. Bwanartalk|contrib 23:35, November 8, 2009 (UTC)
He wasn't living with the Hostiles
The article says he's living with the Hostiles, while this is never actually shown. In Dead Is Dead, he is shown helping Ben and going to the camp, so he is working for the Hostiles, but this doesn't implicate him living with them. Even a thirty something Ben had to wait till the Purge to start living with them, and a missing DI teenager would not go unnoticed. Furthermore, it's all happening at night, making it easier for both of them to sneak out of The Barracks.
Does anyone know why Ethan (and his mum) didn't leave on the sub with the other children?
Just wondered why a new born like Ethan would of been left on the island when all the other children and their mothers left? --Thedenbydalepie 18:57, February 4, 2010 (UTC)
- Sounds like a good unanswered question. Though it's possible the children were re-introduced to the Island after the incident.
04:02, February 9, 2010 (UTC)
- I think we can somewhat safely assume that in the timeline where the island was not utterly destroyed, the evacuation did take place. In that case, the evacuation was ordered in July 1977, and the Dharma initiative continued to thrive on the island until the Purge (which happens, at the very earliest, in the late 1980s). So I think we can be almost certain that the vast majority of the wives and children returned to the island after things settled down. Therefore, it seems almost certain that Amy and Ethan were evacuated on the sub, and later they both returned to the island.
- Horace apparently built the cabin for Amy and Ethan, so they must have been back on the island by then.
- In other words, the only mystery is why Miles and his mother did not return. I would speculate it was because Pierre Chang -- being spooked by his mysterious encounter with his adult son -- felt it was too dangerous and told them not to return. But everyone else (other than Chang) in Dharma probably concluded that the Incident was "under control" once the Swan computer was operational. — Lawrence King (talk) 04:05, February 10, 2010 (UTC)
Yes, that's very possible, after thinking about it longer, it could also be because Ethan's mother seems quite high up in Dharma and was thought to be essential personnel and not evacuated. Miles's mum may not of wanted to come back because she had be forced off the island - ie the only way Miles's dad could get her to leave is to say he didn't want her and Miles any more but if we are thinking that they brought the families back I would of thought Charlotte's family would of come back as well? I am really sorry I am new to the site - and these sort of discussion boards so I am doing this wrong and made a new heading, please accept my apologies, I only meant to comment on what was written before! --Thedenbydalepie 19:01, February 12, 2010 (UTC)
Appearence in "Outlaws"
Ethan has an appearence as a body in a bag in Outlaws.I Think it must be count as an episode of his appearence too.
- It should be counted. Fortunately it already is. Check the count on the character appearances page. It's there and results in a total 15 eps (and 1 mobisode) which is what this page has too. So we're all good. For anyone who disagrees with this decision please check the talk on the same page. Also remember to sign your posts. It tells you how in red at the top of the edit box. Rachel P 02:20, March 27, 2010 (UTC)
- no it's not counted.if you look at the template of Ethan Rom,you wont find "outlaws" in the Appearances section.and this is the infrmation that is given oh his page about his appearence:Ethan's episode count is 15 (as of "What Kate Does", including his counterpart in the parallel timeline)--User:Ethan Rom 08:44, March 27, 2010 (UTC)
Main Characters Met
- This information seems to be absent from the article. I'd add it myself but I'm afraid I'm not confident enough in my knowledge on the subject. So... original 14 + Nikki, Paulo, Ben, Juliet... and then possibly Eloise, Pierre, Charlotte, Daniel, Miles and Richard due to childhood on the Island (yes, the opportunity window for Charlotte and Miles is really tiny, but it's there) and possibly Rose while he was undercover. Is that all? --LeoChris 08:10, January 29, 2011 (UTC)