Ray serves aboard the freighter Kahana as the ship's physician.
On the freighter
Season 4 (Days 94-96)Ray attempted to care for George Minkowski, who began suffering from the disorienting effects of a time-transported consciousness after Minkowski and Brandon's ill-fated attempt to venture to the Island.
This resulted in Minkowski being strapped to a cot in sickbay. When Desmond came on the boat, exhibiting similar symptoms, Ray was sent to examine Desmond. Ignoring Minkowski's cries of "I'm not crazy, Ray!" he sedated Minkowski and began to examine Desmond, and witnessed Desmond "experience something". Sayid and Frank then entered with the satellite phone, causing Ray to act violently. Sayid pinned Ray up against the wall, but Ray was still able to sound the alarm. He then left with Keamy and Omar, after they locked Sayid and Desmond in with Minkowski. ("The Constant")
Days later, he witnessed the suicide of Regina on the deck of the ship whilst escorting Sayid and Desmond to the Captain. Some time after this, he appeared to Desmond and Sayid to take them to their rancid new room. Upon arrival, they discovered cockroaches and a large bloodstain on the wall. Mentioning it already should have been cleaned, he called Kevin Johnson over to wipe up the stain, inadvertently revealing to Sayid and Desmond that Johnson is Michael. ("Ji Yeon")
A day later, his body washes ashore, with his throat slit. Daniel contacts the freighter using the partially repaired satellite phone asking what has happened to the doctor. Bernard decodes their response which states that the doctor is fine. ("The Shape of Things to Come").
- During casting for "The Constant", he was described as "Ray, 40s-50s, any ethnicity, psychiatrist, cold, professional type who can do what's necessary to get the job done... Very nice co-star that could turn into a possible recur as a guest star".
- He was not credited as either a guest star or a co-star in "The Constant", despite the importance of his role.
- The actor who portrays him, Marc Vann, usually plays cold, dour professionals. He is perhaps best known as the uptight department supervisor Conrad Eckley on "CSI." The description of Ray's role (see first note above) could serve an excellent description of Conrad, as well as his character Gray in the movie "Payback" and his character Deputy Jackson in the movie "U.S. Marshalls."
- For fan theories about these unanswered questions, see: Ray (Kahana crew)/Theories
- He appears to have wound on his cheek in "Ji Yeon" which he didn't have previously. Where did he get it from?
- Why does he seem to think the boat is "moving?"
- Who killed him?
- Why did the freighter report that he was "fine"?