Naveen Andrews plays the role of Sayid Jarrah.
Naveen William Sidney Andrews was born in Balham, South-West London, to a fairly conservative family. Ethnically, is of Indian descent, not Iraqi, he was raised in Wandsworth, with his two younger brothers.
His father, a businessman, and mother, a psychologist, encouraged him to follow an academic route. However, Naveen followed his early interest in acting, and auditioned at London's Guildhall School of Music and Drama, where he was accepted among such notables as Ewan McGregor and David Thewlis. His talent and training soon earned him his first role in Hanif Kureshi's film, London Kills Me, and later the leading role in the BBC drama The Buddha of Suburbia. Before joining the cast of Lost, Andrews was best known for his highly acclaimed portrayal of the Sikh, Kip, in The English Patient.
Currently, Naveen resides in Los Angeles with his partner, actress Barbara Hershey.
- (On Sayid) "If there’s one thing I’ve learned, it’s that the show’s completely unpredictable,” he says. “It’s constantly changing. But I sense something sort of spiritual about the character, that somehow there’s something in him that’s trying to atone for what he’s done in the past."
- "The highest compliment I’ve ever received is when people have come up to me and said, ‘I don’t watch TV, but I watch your show.’ That’s the best anyone could hope for."
- "I’ve been playing the guitar since I was twelve", "If I had any other job apart from acting, that’s probably what I would have done."
- "I've always been attracted to older women, because they know who they are", "They look infinitely better to me."
On his role of Sayid, Naveen recieved the following nominations:
- The Golden Globe for Best Supporting Actor in a Television Drama Series category, in 2006.
- The Primetime Emmy for Supporting Actor in a Drama Series category, in 2005.
- Naveen means "new" in Sanskrit.
- Andrews was Voted on People Magazine's World's Most Beautiful People list, 2006.
- He is a smoker, as seen in the DVD special features.
- His partner, actress Barbara Hershey is 21 years his senior.
- At the age of 16, Naveen fell out of favor with his father for having an affair with his high school teacher, with whom he moved in and later had a son, Jaisal.
- It has been confirmed that Naveen will appear in the 1st segment of the upcoming double-feature film "Grindhouse", named "Planet Terror".