Kualoa Ranch is the landowner of Ka'a'awa Valley, also commonly known as Kualoa Valley, and Hakipuu Valley on the windward coast of the island of Oahu. Kualoa Ranch is one of the most popular filming locations for Lost, and the nearby Moli'i Fishpond and Gardens (also known as Kualoa Fishpond and part of Kualoa Ranch) has also been used as a location.
The land property of Kualoa Ranch, including the valley, has been in the Morgan family since 1850 when King Kamehameha III of the Kingdom of Hawaii sold it to their ancestor, Gerrit P. Judd for the price of $1,300 - equal to about $35,000 today.
Kualoa Ranch is open for tourist activities such as horseback riding and hiking but is best known as a film location for productions such as Jurassic Park, Mighty Joe Young, Pearl Harbor, Windtalkers, Godzilla, You, Me and Dupree and Lost. Matthew Fox's horseback riding sequence in his Oprah interview was filmed here.
Numerous areas of the ranch are depicted in Lost many times:
- 1x01 "Pilot, Part 1" - Jack, Kate, and Charlie travel to the cockpit - Ka'a'awa Valley
- 1x02 "Pilot, Part 2" - Sayid's signal expedition - Ka'a'awa Valley, "Rope Bridge", "Radio Hill"
- 1x09 "Solitary", 1x17 "...In Translation", 2x08 "Collision" - "Hurley's Golf Course"
- 1x11 "All the Best Cowboys Have Daddy Issues" - Locke, Boone, Jack, and Kate look for Claire and Charlie - Pavilion Pass
- 1x18 "Numbers" - Jack, Sayid, Hurley, and Charlie look for Rousseau cross the "Rope bridge"
- 2x07 "The Other 48 Days" - Ana-Lucia kills Goodwin - "Goodwin's Logs"
- 2x08 "Collision" - Jack looks for his golf ball - Creek Bed
- 2x11 "The Hunting Party" - Locke, Jack, and Sawyer hunt for Michael - "Hunting Hill"
- 2x22 "Three Minutes" - Michael's cross-Island journey leads him by the "3-Minute Ridge", "Hunting Hill", and Pavilion Pass
- 2x23 "Live Together, Die Alone, Part 1" - Walt's rescue party - "Tube Dump"
- 3x05 "The Cost of Living" - The Pearl expedition - "Cost Crossing", Moli'i Fishpond and Gardens
- 3x10 "Tricia Tanaka Is Dead" - Hurley drives a DHARMA van down a hill - "Van launch point", "Van joyride bowl"
- 3x11 "Enter 77", 4x02 "Confirmed Dead" - The red cow from the Flame came from Kualoa Ranch
- 3x12 "Par Avion" - Sonar fence - Hakipu'u Valley
- 3x16 "One of Us" - The Tree mark signifying Ethan's old drop-off point - Hakipu'u Valley
- 3x19 "The Brig" - The Others new camp and Locke and Sawyer at a stream - Hakipu'u Valley
- 3x20 "The Man Behind the Curtain" - "Security Fence"
- 3x20 "The Man Behind the Curtain" - Ben kills Roger Linus - "Van launch point"
- 3x23 "Through the Looking Glass, Part 2" - Jack and Ben talk near the Radio Tower - "Radio Hill"
- 4x02 "Confirmed Dead", 4x03 "The Economist" - The helicopter landing site - Hakipu'u Valley
- 4x06 "The Other Woman" - Goodwin and Juliet's hike - Hakipu'u Valley
- 4x06 "The Other Woman" - Kate talks to Dan and Charlotte at a stream - Hakipu'u Valley
- 4x06 "The Other Woman" - The Tempest station - Cooper Battery
- Kos Tours Information on Lost-themed tours in the Ka'a'awa Valley
- Oprah Winfrey article on Lost actor Matthew Fox (archive)
- Hawaii Film Office interview article with Terence Chang, producer of Windtalkers
- Kualoa.com film locations
- Google Maps
- Lost Virtual Tour - Kualoa Ranch's Kaaawa Valley and Hakipuu Valley images and description