As part of his commuting Juliet's death sentence, Ben ordered Juliet to be marked instead. Jack asked Juliet to show him the mark and she revealed a strange symbol branded onto her lower back. ("Stranger in a Strange Land") The symbol resembled an upside-down cross (with the top line longer than the others), with two (or four) lines facing away from the center on the horizontal line. The mark was raised, reddened, and inflamed. Jack then treated it with an aloe leaf.
- Juliet's mark resembled the alchemic mark for spirit (seen right).
- Juliet was given her mark in "Stranger in a Strange Land", the same episode in which the origin of Jack's own tattoo (which also had stars) was revealed.
- This mark is almost identical to the mark the protectors of the Holy Grail wear in Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade.
- This mark is an eight-pointed star, which symbolises resurrection, rebirth, and renewal, which is why it was worn as an insignia by the protectors of the Holy Grail in Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade.
- In the Bible, after being cursed and banished into the wilderness for killing his brother Abel,(Gen. 4:10–12) God placed a mark on Cain to protect him from anyone who intended to kill him, so that person would be punished "sevenfold". (Genesis 4:14-16)
- Juliet's mark had certain visual similarities to the tree mark but there is no evidence yet to conclude that they were the same symbol or what either symbol meant.
- In the March 30th, 2007 Podcast, Elizabeth Mitchell suggests the mark meant Juliet was a traitor and a killer.
- Juliet's mark also resembled an inverted version of the 8-armed cross that symbolizes the Church of Scientology.
- The frozen wheel had eight spokes.
- A compass has eight main directions, the major one being North.
- In a test to discover the influence of the Man in Black, Sayid and Claire were branded by the Others. They were, however different brands. ("What Kate Does") ("Lighthouse")