Emma was a tail section survivor of Oceanic Flight 815 who was kidnapped by the Others and then lived with them. She was a young girl who was traveling with her brother Zach to meet their mother in Los Angeles. Emma was one of only three children who survived the crash of Oceanic Flight 815. Emma and her brother were kidnapped by the Others on their 12th night on the Island. During their time with the Others, Cindy acted as their primary caretaker.
On the Island
Days 1-12 (Season 2)
Eko carries Emma out of the ocean. ("The Other 48 Days") (promotional still)
Seconds after the tail crashed into the water, Eko carried Emma's brother from the ocean. He called out for Emma, whose unmoving body was lying facedown the water. Eko pulled Emma from the ocean and Zach rushed over and laid Emma's teddy bear down next to her before being led away by Eko. Ana Lucia began performing CPR on her and soon revived her. Emma asked for her mother and informed Ana Lucia that she and her brother were supposed to meet their mother in Los Angeles. Ana Lucia then promised she would get her home soon. A few minutes later, Cindy agreed to look after Zach and Emma while Eko dragged the dead bodies out of the ocean.
That night the Others invaded the camp and kidnapped three of the survivors. In the morning, the group discussed whether or not they should stay on the beach. Libby held Zach and Emma during the discussion. Nathan tried to get the group to stay on the beach to continue feeding the signal fire, noting the fact that there were kids and injured people who would be difficult to move and questioning how they would be rescued if they did not keep the signal fire going. Cindy backs up Nathan, informing the tail section survivors that they were a thousand miles off course when the plane crashed.
Ana Lucia and Libby became maternal figures to Emma and her brother Zach. Ana Lucia stood with Emma and Zach during Donald's funeral, all of them looking on sadly. On Day 11, Ana Lucia watched as Zach and Emma had a small disagreement while playing. However, the next day she and her brother were among the nine "tailies" kidnapped by a mission of the Others. ("The Other 48 Days")
While living with the Others, Juliet spent some time with Emma and Zach. About three weeks after the crash, Juliet told Ben the children were asking about their mother and Ben said they would stop asking in time. During the conversation, they mentioned that the children were on the list. ("The Other Woman")
Days 74-86 (Season 3)
Emma smiles at Jack. ("Stranger in a Strange Land")
While Jack was imprisoned in the cages at the Hydra station, Emma approached him along with Cindy and Zach. After a brief conversation between Jack and Cindy, Emma whispered to Cindy to ask Jack about Ana Lucia. She glanced hopefully at Jack, giving him a big smile. Jack got angry and as Cindy led Emma away, Zach handed his sister her teddy bear. ("Stranger in a Strange Land") Later, when Kate found Jack at the Barracks Jack told her that the children were safe. ("The Man from Tallahassee")
2007 (Season 6)
Zach, Emma, and Cindy listen to Sayid's speech. ("Sundown")
Zach and Emma lived at the Temple with Cindy and the Others in 2007. Shortly after Sayid's apparent death, Cindy asks them to give food to the survivors. ("LA X, Part 2") Later that same day, Emma, Zach, and Cindy listened to Sayid's speech and grew concerned when they heard what he had to say. They decided to leave the Temple along with 15 or so fellow Others. ("Sundown")
Emma, Zach and Cindy followed the Man in Black to Claire's hut. Once there, Cindy inquired what happened to the people who did not leave the Temple. When the Man in Black responded that they are all dead, it seemed to disturb Zach, so Emma and Cindy comforted him as he began to cry. The Man in Black walked up to Zach and Emma and told them that he knows that what happened back at the Temple was really scary, but now it's over. He then promised the children he would take care of them. The group soon left Claire's hut and Zach and Emma were notably directly behind the Man in Black on the trek. Zach and Emma arrived with the rest of the group at a clearing, where the Man in Black declared they will be staying for a few days. ("Recon")
A few days later, Emma left the clearing along with the rest of the Man in Black's recruits, heading towards the beach to make a rendezvous with Sawyer. After Widmore's mortar attack on the beach, she is never seen again, leaving her status unknown. ("The Last Recruit")
An "Emma" at the Octagon Global Recruiting booth
- In "...And Found", Eko and Jin see a child holding a teddy bear in the jungle. Fans speculated whether the child was Emma or Zach based on the bear's similarity to the one they carried.
- Emma is one of the eight recurring characters whose last names we don't know, the other seven being Phil, Bram, Zack, Omar, Jason, Neil and Zoe.
- In the first Comic Con 2008 report from Ryan Ozawa, he stated he talked to an Octagon Global Recruiting representative named Emma who claimed to have been working for the DHARMA Initiative for five years. 
- In every episode that Zach and Emma have been in, Cindy has appeared as well.
- In "LA X, Part 2-Enhanced", when Zach and Emma appeared on screen, an enhanced caption stated that their parents died in the crash of Oceanic 815. According to Emma, the children's mother was supposed to meet them in Los Angeles, ("The Other 48 Days") and their father was never mentioned.
- On the main screen of Disc 6 of the Season 3 DVD Box Set, Zach and Emma can clearly be seen walking around the ruins along with their teddy bear and an unknown female.
- Of all the main characters, Emma has just met Ana Lucia, Libby, Eko, Juliet, Ben, Jack, Locke, Sayid, Kate, Jin, and the Man in Black.
- Emma and Zach have appeared more in season 6 than in all their other appearances combined.