|Main Article||Theories about
|Theories may be removed if ...|
See the Lostpedia theory policy for more details.
Unfulfilled role of Eko's Church taken up by The Temple
The events that unfold in Season 6 with Dogen and Lennon at The Temple may have been potentially intended to occur with Mr. Eko, at Eko's church.
Actual events from the Series
In season 6, we are introduced to Dogen, Lennon, and others living in The Temple. In the ensuing events:
- the Man in Black is unable to enter the Temple under certain conditions, and
- a mystical power within the temple brings Sayid back to life.
Since Dogen and Lennon and the others living at the temple were only introduced in Season 6, and since Mr. Eko's character was unexpectedly written out of the plot in Season 3, and since prior to Season 6, the writers Lindelof and Cuse and the actor Adewale Akinnuoye-Agbaje wanted to return to the show in Season 6, it's conceivable that the characters Dogen and Lennon and the others' actions in the plot were originally written in as Mr. Eko at Eko's church, with Dogen and Lennon's group of people as a fallback plotline.
Evidence from Wikipedia:
- When creating the character, the producers envisioned Mr. Eko as "the one character who comes to terms with living on the island, and not being consumed with trying to get off".
- The character of Mr. Eko was created to explore the spiritual element of the show
- After he had been on the show for one season, Akinnuoye-Agbaje felt uncomfortable living in Hawaii and wanted to return to his residence in London, England. He discussed Mr. Eko's departure with Lindelof and Cuse, and the three decided the character would die somewhere in the first six episodes of the third season.
- Cuse later said he would have preferred the character to remain on the show a little longer [than what happened].
- In 2008, Cuse and Lindelof made hints there were possibilities of the character's returning... [and] Akinnuoye-Agbaje's [wished] to return for the sixth season.
Evidence from Seasons 1-3
If Eko had returned for Season 6, that the 2 plot points above could have been fulfilled by Mr. Eko's church:
- Resistance to the Man in Black We had already seen Mr. Eko's face off with the Man in Black (as the Smoke Monster) in the 2 characters' first encounter in Season 2. Mr. Eko gazed at the Smoke Monster unwavering, and Smoke Monster backed off.
- Mystical powers Even before the church was built or completed, Mr. Eko's structure had been the source of healing and visions. It's conceivable that Mr. Eko might have resurrected Sayid.
|This article/image is a historical reference page
This article/image is obsolete. It is kept for historical reference purposes.