Sometimes on Lost, cattle play a role in the plot.
- Sayid followed the sound of a cowbell. The bell was worn by a red cow which led him to the Flame station. ("Enter 77")
- After safely landing his helicopter, an injured Frank Lapidus climbed up a hill and stumbled upon a red bull chewing grass and wearing a cowbell. ("Confirmed Dead")
- At least two cows were tended by Mikhail Bakunin at the Flame station, one white, one black & white.
- In the Official Lost Podcast the question was asked, "Is the cow that Frank ran into one of Mikhail's cows and what is the cow's name?" to which the reply was, "Yes. The name of the cow is Svetlana." (Official Lost Podcast/February 19, 2008)
- In Hinduism cattle are considered sacred.
- In the Old Testament a red heifer was used in a purification ceremony (Numbers 19). Some modern adherents believe it will be necessary for a pure red heifer to be found for the rebuilding of the Temple and/or the End Time.
- A cow is one of the guises of the Egyptian goddess Hathor. Horns are specifically mentioned in her description. One of her attributes is fertility. At birth, she was described as black-skinned or red-black.
- In Lost Via Domus, if you look outside, you see there are no cows.