- This page is about the character from "The Man Behind the Curtain". For other uses of "Anne" see: Anne (disambiguation).
On the Island
Soon after Ben's arrival on the Island, he was greeted by Annie at the processing center. Annie introduced herself and gave Ben an Apollo Bar, telling him that they could have "as many as they want." Their meeting was cut short, however, as a disappointed Roger stormed out with Ben.
Annie was also in Ben's class, which was taught by Olivia. One day, after an experiment with a miniature volcano, the barracks were attacked by the Hostiles. Olivia told Annie to lock the door, after which Annie guided Ben to safety by bringing him to the perimeter of the classroom. Annie attempted comfort Ben by telling him that it was "just the Hostiles."
Unlike Roger, Annie remembered Ben's birthday, and presented him with a pair of carved wooden dolls, designed to represent herself and Ben. She gave the girl to Ben and kept the boy, telling Ben that because they each had the other's doll, they would never have to be apart from each other. The doll was a significant gift for Ben, and he kept it with him throughout his adult life. ("The Man Behind the Curtain")
- Annie is a variant of Ann and Hannah, which are of Hebrew origin, meaning "favored grace". Hannah was the mother of the prophet Samuel. After her marriage Hannah initially seemed to be barren. Later, she asked God to bless her with a child, and her prayer was answered.
- On the DVD commentary track for "The Man Behind the Curtain" Damon Lindelof and Carlton Cuse describe Annie and Alexandra as the two most significant women in Ben's life. Annie is described as a character that is going to play a "huge part" in upcoming storylines: "Annie is going to prove to be very significant in Ben's life," and that even the island's volcano will be "slightly less important than Annie, but still seismic."(Season 3 DVD)
- "Annie" was the first shown alias of Kate, who used it to try to fool Ray Mullen in "Tabula Rasa". Kate's middle name was revealed to be Anne in "Eggtown". Kate's full name is Katherine Anne Austen.
- For fan theories about these unanswered questions, see: Annie/Theories
- What happened to Annie?
- Was she killed in the Purge?
- Who was she on the Island with (i.e. who was her parent or guardian)?
- How did her relationship with Ben evolve as they grew up?