Animals have played important roles in the storyline of Lost.
|Animal||Image||Appearance and Role|
Main article: Birds
Main article: Cats
Main article: Cattle
Main article: Medusa Spider
Main article: Moths
Main article: Polar Bears
In a baby-themed music video that Drive Shaft is shooting, there are stuffed polar bears in the crib. (Fire + Water) Michael gives young Walt a stuffed animal polar bear on his last meeting with him before he gave up custody.
Main article: Rabbits
Main article: Sea urchin
Main article: Sharks
Main article: Frog
Main article: Wild Boar
- Locke said that when his foster sister Jeannie died, a Golden Retriever appeared, which their mother believed was her daughter reincarnated. It stayed for five years, until the mother died, then disappeared. ("Outlaws")
- After Rousseau shot at Hurley and Charlie for the first time, screeches of monkeys could be heard in the background. ("Numbers")
- In the same episode, Hurley suggested that the black smoke is a "pissed off giraffe".
- Fish were depicted in the Mural. ("Man of Science, Man of Faith")
- Fish were regularly eaten by the survivors, as well as Jacob. ("The Incident, Part 1")
- Animal-themed decorations were featured in The Staff's nursery, including a lion, zebra, and monkey. ("Maternity Leave")
- Mr. Eko told a story about a boy who killed a dog, then worried about the existence of hell not because he was sorry, but because he was worried the dog he killed would be waiting for him there. ("Three Minutes")
- Jack was shown the cartoon The Blue Danube, which features animals based on the folk tale "The Ugly Duckling". ("Every Man for Himself")
- Juliet managed to impregnate a male field mouse. ("Not in Portland")
- Pictures of orange fish and insects including a bee were featured in the Room 23 video. ("Not in Portland")
- Ben had an insect collection in his home. ("One of Us")
- A hamster was seen being held by a mysterious woman in Ben's painting at his house at the Barracks.
- According to the commentary on the "On location" section of the Season 3 DVD, the tank in the Hydra Station where Jack was being kept prisoner, was used also for sharks and the dolphins that Juliet told Jack about in "A Tale of Two Cities". A dolphin was also seen in a child's drawing on one of the walls in the school. The dolphin in the picture was swimming with an unidentified girl in a pink swimsuit, along with some smaller fish, and the submarine. The picture was labelled, "Me and my fish".
- There was a stuffed orca in Claire's purse in "What Kate Does", the same stuffed orca that Aaron was clutching in "Something Nice Back Home". ("What Kate Does")
- In ancient times, a sea turtle was seen on the beach near young Jacob and the Boy in Black. ("Across the Sea")
- Several large sea turtles could be seen on daytime beach shots. ("There's No Place Like Home, Part 1")